STREET THEATRE :: CONTRIBUTION BY MANJUL BHARADWAJ  BACK
The director plays an important role in a street play.
1. According to the nature of a street play the director must handle the challenge of combining the suggestions of actors, the message of the play and the expectations of the audience.
2. The director must carry out an in depth study of the play and set up a plan to convey its message to the audience.
3. Conveying the message is essential; at the same time the director must try to bring out the theatrical strengths and dramatic aspects of the play.
4. Depending on the subject of the play it should be divided into scenes that take into account the limits and interesting facets to the scenes, so also the objective of each scene.
5. Using various qualities of drama to their fullest the play must include suggestive and metaphoric examples.
6. The play must be set according to the venue of performance and the director must try to include the things available there into the performance.
7. After reaching the venue the director must plan and organize for any on the spot changes and impromptu presentations.
8. There should be a concerted effort towards inviting and encouraging audience participation and aspects of the play that can involve the audience must be closely studied.
b. analysis of the actor
c. the aim of the writer in writing the play
d. analysis of the audience
e. What will be effect of the play, what it should be?
f. The pace of the play must be given special thought. However for the
Sake of pace there cannot be a compromise on the
Comprehensiveness and wholeness of the scenes.
g. an understanding of the class of the audience.
h. rehearsals should take into account the venue of performance
i. The presentation of the play should be modified according to the useful aspects of the venue so also its space limits. The country’s economic, political, social and cultural situation must also be kept in mind.
j. Instruments may be used to further the aim of communicating the message of the play, but should not be used as a distraction from the actual message.